Wednesday, October 29, 2014

WE FINALLY SLEPT! And sacred journeys...

It was a bit of a scene convincing Anne to use the restroom prior to getting into bed last night (vodka tonic mixed *immediately* thereafter), but it was worth it. Because...

SHE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! And all I have to say about that is:

We needed that SO badly. All of us were exhausted and cranky. Including Anne. ;-) She got up this morning all pink-cheeked and chirpy, kissing everybody and eating her breakfast happily with nary a cup of orange juice thrown about in a fit of temper. She even got dressed without sobbing and throwing her body to the floor. It was blissful.

Hence, *I* was feeling happy and awake as I got ready for work this morning, and guess what I listened to while I did so? The Catholic Vitamins podcast, and this week's episode "Catholic Vitamin S - Sacred" features my dear Twitter friend Mike Gannon! He's entering the Discalced Carmelite Friars of Holy Hill, Wisconsin as a postulant this Saturday, the feast of All Saints. During his Catholic Vitamins interview, Mike talks with the wonderful Deacon Tom Fox about his vocation story, and as you all know, I *adore* vocation stories. It's an excellent conversation, and I demand that you all go and listen to it. ;-) I have it linked above, but you can also find it on iTunes if you search for "Catholic Vitamins," it's the most recent episode right now.

I have prayed for dear Mike and his vocation, and so I was beaming with pride as he described his call to religious life and how it all came together. I know that I am not alone in saying that I will sincerely miss his thoughtful and insightful contributions to the Catholic community on Twitter, but I am so, SO happy and excited for him. His official entrance will be with Evening Prayer on All Saints day, so let's all bring him to mind Saturday evening and wing up a prayer for him and his vocation, yes? I have his new snail mail address, and plan to keep in touch via prayer requests and general life updates, and I couldn't be more pleased to have a friend who is a Friar. :0

My husband Mike is very amused by the sheer number of priests, nuns and monks that I know. :) Social media is such a wonderful thing!

Before I sign off, I wanted to add that as I listened to Mike's story this morning, it struck me that our vocations indeed are ever deepening. Discerning one's vocation initially is certainly a major thing, but it doesn't end there. Whether a person is called to religious, married or single life, our vocation is something that we should continue to contemplate on a daily basis to determine how God wants us to fully live out that vocation. Our vocational journey is certainly a lifelong one, to be sure. As a wife and mother, I am often thinking about how I can do better.

Wonderful fodder for a Wednesday morning. Do you have any thoughts on vocations and discernment? Leave a comment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one, and I will respond to each one personally!